THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Home?

I've been struggling with feeling at home at here. Satan has definitely tried to tell me that no one cares for me here, there are no good relationships here, etc. to make me doubt our decision to move here. However, a good friend reminded me that "it takes time and memories" to feel at home somewhere. Of course! That changed my outlook on it. I started thinking about the memories that I have already made here in the past year and a half. Here are a few....

1. My sweet son was born here. This place will always be special to me for that reason. That was the most special (and hilarious) day of my life.

1.When my sweet son was born not alot of people came to visit (mainly just cause we had just moved here and no one knew us yet and it was too far for people in Arlington...I understand.) But our pastor at our church (which we weren't even members at yet) came to visit us. He and jeff talked for a while about his vision for the church....interesting since we didn't even know that Jeff and I would be part of that vision later.

2. We started a Tuesday night bible study with some other couples/friends. That really made some memories and some really really special friends. Then they all moved....and now I'm sad.

3. We found a WONDERFUL babysitter for Colin. Ms Betty is truly truly a blessing. She is so good to us about watching him late or telling us she will watch him so we can go on a date...and she never charges us. And she adores Colin. She gets mad at me if I don't bring him. Its wonderful to know that Colin is taken care of by someone who WANTS to take care of him. I don't know what we would do without her.

4. Jenni and Tim are a part of home here and I love that. They are a blast. We have great adventures with them. I love how we all squeeze in one car with Colins huge car seat just cause we don't want to drive separately...and we want to save on gas. And cause we want to help eachother find GPS's. THey are great and it makes me sad to think that someday we might not be in the same town. I think we should just move together.

5. Daniel and Mary were a part of home here and I am sad that they are not here anymore, but they are always a part of my heart. They are very special and I miss their accountability and the fun memories we have with them.

6.I have memories with my team at school. That means alot to me. Work is more fun when you "fit in" and enjoy your team. I care for them alot and know that they care for me.

7.Now...this is the part that means the most to me. My church family. This is where I have struggled the most with wanting to "fit in." But over the past few months, we have developed some really great friendships. All of the nursery workers (esp Ms Pam) are so good to us. They love my son, they love me and Jeff. Ms. Pam, shared her concern with me about thinking Colin might have a hearing problem. She looked nervous to tell me that. The fact that she is taking care of my son enough to notice that and the way that she told me with such genuine caring concern means the world to me. Also, Bob and Jeanie are so good and generous to us. They just give us stuff all the time! Like our bedroom furniture...and other smaller things. Its not the "stuff" that means alot. Its knowing that they have thought of us and them saying, "We just love you and think you have a sweet spirit about yall." Its been fun getting to know Ben and Tiffany who help us with the youth group. They are way cool and I think they are going to be great friends. Jeff is really liking getting to know our new music minister/associate pastor. I think that will be a great relationship too.

I say all of this just as a reminder to myself that memories are starting to be made in this place that is not my home. After time and more memories this place will be more of home to me. However, in just one week I will get to go "home" to Arlington and I am so excited. I miss my family and friends. That will always be home too. It's kind of nice to have 2 homes!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Sarah, that is such an important thought about "home." I need that. I also started crying when I read what you said about us..and the small group too. I hate doing "life together" the way it is now. :( I guess there's reasons for it though. You know what would make everything better? If when Jeff graduates, we actually start a church together somewhere...you know? That will fix everything wrong in the world...lol. Maybe we can convince Tim and Jenni too. They were willing to go to the moon with you guys, so why not starting a church, right? lol I love you and miss you like crazy.

Nena said...

I love you. And I look forward to seeing you next week.

CDJ said...

I enjoyed this post. Thank you for sharing your "purposeful perspective tweek". You are practicing the obedient art of "being thankful in all things". Thank you for the inspiration!