THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Old Faithful

Faithfulness...

When I think of the word "faithful" I think of the word "always." I think of consistency and stability. I think of a single solid tree that has continued to fulfill its duty to stand even through the fiercest of storms.

I can't help but wonder if that describes me or not. It's easy to be faithful when I'm comfortable and happy. But what do I do when discomfort or negative emotions come about?

How can I learn to be faithful to God always?

Why not start with His example. We always say, "We love because he first loved us." Why not say, "We are faithful because he was first faithful to us."

"Teach me your way, Lord, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name." -Psalm 86:11

I cannot rely on my circumstances or emotions, for they always change. I must rely on His faithfulness, for it never changes. My actions and decisions should be in response to His faithfulness not on what is happening in my life or how I feel.

"Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." -Hebrews 11:1

This is the mindset of the faithful. The faithful do not depend on what is seen or on results. They depend on what God has promised.

If you continue to read Hebrews 11, we get a running history of the faithful. We read, "By faith Enoch..." and "By faith Abel..." and so on and so on. I can't help but get chill bumps when I read this chapter...reading about the actions that came from faithful hearts. This chapter has 40 verses. But my sweet friend told me the other night that someone told her that if you could add a verse 41, would it include your name?

So...I wrote in a verse 41 to my Bible. *Gasp!* I know! I wrote in my Bible AND added a verse. Verse 41 says, "By faith, Sarah _________." Sometimes we forget that this story does not end in the Bible. We are the extension of that story.

I hope that at the end of my life I can fill in that blank and that my God will say, "Well done, good and faithful servant, well done."

0 comments: