THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Busy, Busy, Busy! *Updated*

We leave for Chicago on Thursday and I am SO excited! 2 things I am not excited about: 1) its supposed to be in the upper 30's low 40's there next weekend. yuck! 2) I will MISS my kids! But we are going to get Wifi in the hotel so we can skype them.

There is SO much going on.
-Feb 27-March 2: Focus Week at church (revival)
-March 3-7: Chicago
-March 8: Parent Conference Night at my school
-March 12: Wedding for Jeff's good friend
-March 13-17: Mission Arlington

There are always times like this throughout the year(May and December are always the worst!) where there is something every night, back to back events, and driving every which direction. Its all fun and good stuff, but there is always potential for it to take focus away from 2 very important things. 1)my time with my family and 2)my time with God and in God's word.

Most of the events we are doing would be considered "service for God's kingdom." And its interesting that Satan can even use THAT to tear us apart from God and our families...even if its just temporarily.

One of my favorite quotes is by Donald Miller.

"I believe the greatest trick of the devil is not to get us into some sort of evil but rather have us wasting time. This is why the devil tries so hard to get Christians to be religious."

I believe that even includes wasting time during our busy-ness. Sure we can waste time by being lazy and not doing service for God. But even the busiest of people can waste their time by "looking busy" and doing service out of habit and without a heart that yearns for God and his will.

I pray that my busiest times in life (and yours too) are not used by Satan to waste time and to tear me apart from my most important relationships.

*Update*
After I posted this, I remembered this verse that I think is perfect for this topic. Just a reminder that God doesn't want our busy-ness. He wants our relationship. So I'll end with this verse!

"I want you to show love, not offer sacrifices. I want you to know me more than I want burnt offereings. " Hosea 6:6


3 comments:

Mary said...

That is a very important reminder! It's so easy to sacrifice being relational with God to serving Him, because it's a fine line. (You can't serve very long without actually being relational, you'll eventually burn out.)
Again, excited for you guys with all the opportunities you have coming up!

CDJ said...

Thank you for the great word! This is one of several posts I've read recently that touch on this neccessary perspective. God's telling a bunch of us...I think He is serious:)
Enjoy your time away!
cdj

Jeff Stapleton said...

Hear hear!